Friday, September 10, 2010

She Was Right After All

Do you remember awhile back as I ranted about my Math instructor's characterization of her students as Finite Students.
I was offended.
Turns out, she was correct.
I thought I was an INfinite student, with infinite ability and brain power. I thought I was a math genius.
Sadly, I am not.
I know, I know... this is hard to accept.
The truth is often a hard pill to swallow.
Tuesday I sat there... staring at the computer screen full of matrices and linear equations and had an epiphany "WHAT THE HECK WAS I DOING???"
I needed to finish 3 sections of homework (and in an hour I had not been able to get a correct answer on one of the 72 questions I needed to solve) so that I could take a test the next night.
I just sat there with drool pooling on my keyboard and finally listened to the voice that was whispering in the back of my head. No, not the one that keeps telling me to eat more chocolate. the other one. The one that said "Hey, stupid, you don't have to take this class right now" It was starting to get louder and more insistant "YOU COULD GIVE YOURSELF A LITTLE TINY BREAK!" AND LOUDER STILL "LOOK, YOU OBSESSIVE CONTROL FREAK--- YOU CAN DROP THIS CLASS AND EVERYONE WON'T HATE YOU!!!"
So I did the intelligent, mature thing.
I called my son.
And I asked him if he would hate me if I dropped the class.
Long story short--- he said he would still love me.
That was the permission I needed to accept the true fact that I am, in fact, a Finite Student. And my internal resources had run out: Not enough time. Not enough energy. Not enough brain power.
Soooo I have ceased matriculating.
For now.
What am I going to do with all this spare time??????

2 comments:

ltlrags said...

Part-time mom, no classes...? Join Monica on her Walmart trips.

JC said...

Did you really need to take this class ? Sounds way too hard to me.