Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What Happened in 1974?


Do you even remember 1974? That was the year Patty Hearst was kidnapped, Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's homerun record, Evel Kneivel tried to jump the Snake River, the UPC label was first used (a pack of gum), "I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John was released, Nixon became the first President to resign from office.
All interesting tidbits of information.
This was a banner year for me because this was the year I met my oldest (Ahem-- I should say longest term) friend, Wayne.
(Well he is OLDER than I am... by a whole week!). We were in 7th grade back in 1974 and we met in Mr. Wansgaard's science class. Probably over a hamster-- the details are a bit sketchy. It has been 34 or so years now! During the ensuing years we have seen each other through lots of stuff: High school drama, weddings, births, divorces, job gains and losses, happy and broken hearts, becoming a foster dad to Kody-- he even sang at my wedding! He told me I would become friends with my ex someday. We have celebrated many a birthday in all sorts of places. These days conversations are centered around being back in school ("OMG- I have SO MUCH HOMEWORK!) and how to survive our teenagers. Wayne has been a blessing to me pretty much all my life.
When I got to thinking about it, my friends and family who are also friends are pretty danged important to me and a real blessing from God! So I put a couple of verses up there on my profile including, in case you don't recognize it, a passage from Job who was not as fortunate as I am to have supportive friends (but then again, I take it as a compliment when you call me a laughingstock!).
And in case you are jealous because I got to Wayne first-- that is just because we had lunch the other day-- hence the current picture. But I will get around to you all: Monica who is my favorite sister in the whole world (For the last time, I am sorry about the damn parakeet would you stop telling that story at every family gathering now?), Cat who got me on an airplane, Carri who was physically there when my final divorce papers came and told me I would live through it, Susie who gave me and my sister our first ride in a convertible (crammed in the back with no seatbelts), Kathy who hooked me up with my favorite Siamese and officially put me over the Single Crazy Cat Lady limit, Stacy with whom I made hamster costumes for Halloween one year, Brandon, my favorite son (I love you too, now go to sleep), Lauren my favorite daughter (She is going to give me a granddaughter named Padme Amidala some day-- I can't wait!), Jericho my favorite DIL (who knocked a hole in my bathroom wall and then laughed so hard I thought she was having a seizure), Kim who was there on the other end of the phone the night Jim left me, My Perfect Furrgang friends who don't think I am a Crazy Cat Lady at all, Claudia who is gonna make me a party animal one of these days, the Sojourners who didn't kick me out when I lost my temper one Sunday morning..... SO many great friends.
You know.....................
I Love You................ I Honestly Love You............


PS: Wayne also posts comments on my blog. Kudos, Wayne!!!! And for those of you experiencing technical difficulties, please try again. I changed some settings today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can i not comment on this one? I was reading the trivia in the email thinking "what the heck," and then clicked on the link and saw my picture. What a shock. Do I really look like that? I look so old! Then I understood the 1974 trivia. I always tell people that you're my oldest friend... then explain what "oldest" means. I'm proud of that fact, and happy that it's you. I love you too, and that's coming from my heart and not my head [insert musical note].