Friday, February 6, 2009

Very Deep Thoughts For A Friday

I didn't know I was going to have a deep thought-- it just snuck up on me. Cuz I was thinking about something else. But, there it was.

I was driving on my lunch break and I saw this big old scary storm brewing off to the north of town. I thought "Wow, that is a Big Old Scary Storm over there".

But the sky was blue right over me and Lola. Lola has a cool moon roof. I love it. I paid extra for it and it was worth every penny! It is like having a convertible without having crazy hair. but I digress..

Earlier in the day my sister and I were discussing our ambivalence about dating. What with S.A.D. just over a week away and stores full of paraphernalia for those who reside in Happily Ever After Land, this usually leads to thoughts of how has my life turned out this way and what will happen to me if I do or I don't get remarried? Wouldn't life be perfect is someone loved me? Etc....
So I was thinking about this when I noticed the Big Old Scary Storm and I thought about how good it is, really, that we don't know about the future. I mean, who needs to KNOW that there is a Big Old Scary Storm on the horizon? It may be full of lightning and thunder and hail or it may be all for show. It could be full of lovely snowflakes that will lead to cozy days snowed in or it might be full of wind and tornadoes and who knows what else.

All of a sudden...................
ACHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sneezed. It was a BIG SNEEZE. It came on without warning as I was driving along on the freeway. Luckily I did not go careening off the freeway. But it did add further food for thought.

Here is the thing........ If you pay too much attention to what Scary Storms are out there, you will miss the blue skies that are in your life right now. If you figure out how you are going to repair your house after the hail and the tornadoes that may never happen-- you will miss the sunshine in your life now. When something big does happen, you usually aren't prepared for it anyhow. (Like a Big Sneeze) And it could send you careening over the edge (but it probably won't.) Most likely you will wipe the snot off the windshield and carry on with your life. Regardless of how it feels IN the storm, they always end.

I am really bad about looking for the next storm and trying to head it off or figure out how I am going to deal with it if it ever hits. That is why I love this verse from the bible: Matthew 6:34
'Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.'

Another thing to think about: I can see this storm, but it isn't necessarily MY storm. It is way over there. So I can pray for the person getting rained on but I don't have to take it on as my own. I forget that occasionally! I am a fixer, you know, but it isn't always good to rescue people! Sometimes people miss their lessons if they are rescued.

I am not especially happy to be drenched in a storm, but I have learned to try to ride it out and see what happens. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says 'Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.' So I try to look for what I can be thankful for as I am riding it out (see, it doesn't say to be thankful FOR it, but IN it). So I can be thankful that I know God and my family of friends and relatives will be there with me in the storm. Lessons of Storms Past have taught me compassion and empathy. They have taught me that dependence on God and friends is not only okay but preferable. My divorce taught me to pay more attention to what is going on around me. I believe I am a better parent for that. My divorce has taught me a whole lot of stuff-- it was a pretty Big Scary Storm you know! Sometimes Storms even produce rainbows. But you need the storm to get the rainbow-- they just can't happen on a sunny day. I have a story like that too, but you will have to wait for it.
(It is always good to leave your crowd wanting more, you know...)


1 comment:

JC said...

I love stormy clouds & the feeling right after them .. again, thanks for a great blog .. nothing like having my Saturday morning coffee while reading your insights into life !!!!!!